Monday, July 7, 2014

50% Pain and 100% Reason to Remember the Name

Say it aint so! The oh so frightening, yet lovable loyal fighter for the Bruins has thrown his last punch in a Bruins uniform. Shawn Thornton, the 36-year-old winger will no longer skate on the best fourth line in the NHL. The Merlot line will cease to exist. 


I know he didn’t play the most minutes or score the most goals, but he was a huge part of the heart and soul of the team. The Oshawa, ON native did not only leave his mark with the team, but also with the city. Thornton became a true Bostonian during his seven years with the Bruins. Thornton is a huge part of the community with his own foundation and charity events such as the very popular Cuts for a Cause.
He even stared in Dropkick Murphy music videos (Going Out In Style) and Marky Marky movies (Ted) 

Thornton was our enforcer and he would drop the gloves for any one of his teammates. He knew his role on the ice and wasn’t afraid to square off against any of the willing (or unwilling) opponents. He proved he would bleed for us and when we really needed him he would even score sweet ass penalty shot goals and shock everyone!
On July 1st Thornton signed a two-year contract with the Florida Panthers. Thorty will be sorely missed on the Bruins, but even more so in the community. He stated that he doesn’t plan on leaving Boston completely however, he has made a home here for him and his family and that’s not going to change. His charity is also based out of Boston and he plans on keeping it that way. "It was seven amazing years," Thornton said. "I've been asked for my favorite memory and I don't know because the whole thing has been an amazing experience. To do my job in this city for seven years has been incredible. Unfortunately, it's sad to move on but it's part of the business. The Bruins have been nothing but first class treating me unbelievable and I'm very thankful for the opportunity."

Now before I shed a tear, I’m going to wrap this up with a collection of my favorite Thorty pictures I’ve taken!








And lastly the first picture I ever took with Mr. Intimidating..(disregard me)


Once a Bruin always a Bruin! Thank You Thornton for all the memories and for always putting up a good fight! The Panthers got a good one with you and I personally can't wait for your Boston return on November 4th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment